Sunday, April 24, 2016

Technology has increasingly played a larger role in our lives as it continues to improve. It has gradually adapted with the progression of our lives, speeding up more rapidly in recent years. It now plays a huge part and helps connect the science world to the art world in many aspects. In lecture one, which I found to be very helpful in writing this blog post, our professor states that “anatomy and dissection is at the intersection of art and science.” Dissection has been occurring for thousands of years and is a part of various cultures including the ancient Greeks and Egyptians. The body in itself is a form of art and many cultures like to preserve parts of it and keep it as a form of art.
A personal experience that I have had with medical technologies in relation to artist projects I have seen relates to the human body. A few years ago I had an X-ray of my arm and the images of it were really fascinating. It reminded me of the statue of David I had seen one time while visiting Florence, Italy. I connected the two in my head because of the clarity of both images. Made me realize how well done that statue was done and how that would have not been possible had the artist, Michelangelo, not been able to view anatomy.
Altogether, this connection between art and science is made possible through technology. As technology continues to improve and develop with time there is only more art being made in connection to science.

Works Cited

"Michelangelo's David: Admire World's Greatest Sculpture at Accademia
Gallery." Michelangelo's David: Admire World's Greatest Sculpture at
Accademia Gallery. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2016.

"Basic Facts about Michelangelo's David." Basic Facts about
Michelangelo's David. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2016.

Forbes. Forbes Magazine, n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2016.

"InnerBody.com | Your Interactive Guide to Human Anatomy." Innerbody.
N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2016.

"Science Museum. Brought to Life: Exploring the History of Medicine." Art



and Anatomy. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2016.

2 comments:

  1. I have had X-rays and MRI's done as well and looking at images of my bones and muscles is so fascinating! I like how you stated that the connection of art and science is made possible by technology. I totally agree! I like the pictures that you chose, they really add to what you are writing about. Great post, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelly the idea that technology is increasingly becoming larger role in our society is great. You're personal experience of getting an x-ray is a good reason why this technology makes our life easier. I also enjoyed the quote, “anatomy and dissection is at the intersection of art and science.”, because it brings us the idea that anatomy and science still are a type of art through science bringing good to the people.

    ReplyDelete